A Holiday Message from The Coop (2022)
Click here to view an accessible transcript
The Cooperative Bank of Cape Cod supported several local nonprofits during the holiday season, benefiting community members in need throughout the Cape Cod and South Shore region.
The Homeless Prevention Council was the beneficiary of The Coop’s annual Stuff-a-Stocking clothes drive. Donations of new hats, mittens, gloves, scarves, warm socks and books for children, as well as gift cards for teens and grocery gift cards for families, were collected in the giant stockings located at The Coop’s nine branches through Friday, December 16.
The Coop’s additional holiday giving programs include:
- Underwriting the $2,400 cost of shopping for five families participating in the Adopt-a-Family program at the Homeless Prevention Council. Five Coop employees volunteered to shop for 12 children, including purchasing additional items such as grocery gift cards at their own expense
- Supporting the Salvation Army’s Dress-a-Live-Doll program through The Coop’s employee-led Paying It Forward program. This year, 26 employees were split into five teams to shop for five children, or “dolls.” The employees raised a total of $1,125 for the program, which included a $500 match from the bank.
- Contributing $2,000 to the Plymouth Area Coalition for the Homeless and its Adopt-a-Family program. The Coop’s donation will cover the cost of providing toys, gifts, winter clothing and holiday meal baskets for up to four families in South Shore communities.
“The region’s severe housing crisis, compounded by inflationary pressures and continuing effects of the pandemic have many of our neighbors struggling financially and emotionally this holiday season,” said Lisa Oliver, Chair, President and CEO of The Cooperative Bank of Cape Cod. “The Coop is committed to supporting the many nonprofit organizations that are improving quality of life and providing hope for so many people on the Cape and South Shore. I ask that everyone take time this holiday season to generously contribute, whether financially or through volunteerism, to nonprofits caring for our friends and neighbors in need.”
Paying it Forward
In 2022, our Paying It Forward program donated $26,319 to 26 nonprofit organizations. At the beginning of the year, employees nominate nonprofits and 26 are selected. Employees donate $5 each “payday Friday” to wear jeans, with the funds going to the Paying It Forward program. The Coop matches donations up to $500. The following nonprofits were helped in 2022:
- Alzheimer’s Family Support Center
- Amplify POC
- Atlantic White Shark Conservancy
- Calmer Choice
- Cape Cod Art Center
- Cape Cod Brite Lights
- Cape Cod Center for the Arts
- Cape Cod Children’s Place
- Cape Cod Veterans
- Cape & Islands Police K-9 Relief Fund
- Cape Wellness Collaborative
- CARE for the Cape & Islands
- Champ Homes
- Children’s Cove
- Dream Day On Cape Cod
- Family Table Collaborative
- Good Grief Cape Cod
- Housing Assistance Corp.
- Independence House
- Mass Appeal in Wellfleet
- MSPCA Cape Cod
- R.A. Cooke Memorial Scholarship
- Salvation Army Dress A Live Doll
- The Cape & Islands United Way
- Tommy’s Place
- WE CAN